Tuesday 27 August 2013

Conversations With a Book Seller

It was around eight in night when we were crossing the road opposite Haji Ali Dargaah and saw a boy walking with vengeance at each car with a bunch of novels. He was asking each passenger in the car if they will buy the books, with lots of courtesy. We felt pity for him. We asked him his name. By mistake, we asked him in English. However, we were stupefied when he replied in English that his name was Ramesh*. We stared at him with so many question and without seeking his permission to ask, we started bombarding on him with our questions.

How old are you? Why are you selling novels here?

He replied he was fifteen years old and sold books to pass his time. We were completely baffled by his answer. We then asked, “what about your parents? Don’t they stop you?”

He looked down and replied, “my dad left us when I was born. My mom is here. She is the only person to feed me and take care of me. She stops me every day but what to do? I am fond of this place. I was here since I was five years old.” We were surprised when he answered two of our general knowledge questions – Who is the prime minister of India and What are human rights and child rights? We didn’t expect he would know these answers.

The signal stopped but he was continuously talking to us .Then we asked him an important question, “What does responsibility means to you?” He answered us in just one word, “my mom. She is everything to me and I love her.” We both were having a good conversation then suddenly Shahid asked, “what do you want in your life?” He replied, “I want my mom always to be happy and if I would have some siblings.” So we asked why does he wants siblings. He told, “I would have good time pass with them .so I would not come here.”

After this conversation we were left with many questions. Such as is time pass his excuse or reality? Or because he had no siblings and so he spent his time at the signal to be with his childhood friends? One day we will come to answer this question, hopefully.

* The real name of the child is not disclosed.
Image Source: http://hajialidargah.in/
Interviewed along with my friend, Shahid.

2 comments:

  1. inspiring stuff! Keep up the good work guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised by the boy's reply :) Good work...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete